1. It … Sunday evening.
2. Everybody looked tired and wanted to go … home.
3. Mr. Candy locked the door and … outside.
4. The weather … fine.
5. … sun was shining brightly in the cloudless sky.
6. He decided to go … home on foot.
7. The house he lived in was not far …and soon he was there.
8. … door was blocked by the police.
9. No matter how… , he couldn’t get in.
10. It wasn’t really funny because Mr. Candy … a date that night.
11. He felt … bit nervous.
12. Then he suddenly … to see his father.
13. His father calmed him … .
14. Mr. Candy realized that everything that … wasn’t really important.
15. “Things … happen”, he thought.
16. When he … next morning, he felt as good as never.
17. He made up his mind to start a new… .
18. Mr. Candy was sure that his life … change greatly soon.
19. An interesting story happened … my friends last year.
20. … painting disappeared from my friends’ house.
21. Let me explain how the situation … .
22. Somebody stole the picture, that ... in town the day before.
23. It was … heavy to hang on the wall and was left on the floor of the hall.
24. … wanted to go to the restaurant, so all stayed to have dinner at home.
25. The dinner smelled … good.
26. All Jim … that day was a sandwich.
27. “What do you think … your new painting?” – asked Bob.
28. “Oh, it is extremely expensive and beautiful”, … Jim.
29. After dinner he wanted … the painting but found nothing in the hall.
30. We didn’t believe him at first, but … he said was quite true.
31. The sudden noise… .
32. It was Rachel … arrived.
33. Why did she always … to see Jim at the worst possible moment?
34. … at the fact that the painting had disappeared, Rachel couldn’t say a word.
35. The thief was thought to have escaped by climbing … the wall.
36. In the morning Rachel persuaded me to play … tennis.
37. The match was abandoned after… .
38. Nobody felt … after what had happened.
39. The next day I … to a woman outside the house.
40. I … the woman’s voice at once – no doubt, it was Rachel.
41. I was about to … my chair during the talk.
42. Rachel … the painting and was ready to sell it at a fabulous price.
43. When I told everybody about it, she … a terrible look as if she wanted to kill me at the moment.
44. “Sorry, I meant to tell you that I … take the painting for a while, but I forgot.”
45. So stupid … we heard that we were shocked.
46. This was the first time Jim … her real nature.
47. She … out of the house and disappeared in the wood.
48. By the time we got to Rachel’s hotel, she … .
49. We couldn’t …how well she managed to get off with the punishment.
50. Suffice it to say that she never … and returned the painting.